What causes pain in the left kidney region radiating towards the groin?

pain started in my left kidney region and has moved to my left groin region. when sitting or laying down, pain subsides. when walking pain returns in my left groin area and my left thigh,and, progressively gets worse. I have had a kidney stone before. the thigh pain is concerning. I do not have continuous urges to urinate. No discomfort urinating. To the naked eye, my urine is clear. I have been drinking cranberry juice
Posted Fri, 24 Nov 2017 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

This does sound suspicious for a kidney stone.

Another possibility is a kidney infection, if you are having any nausea, fever, or generalized feeling poorly.

I recommend that you go in to an urgent care clinic or ER, whichever you have access to at this time, where they can get an X-ray or ultrasound. An X-ray as you probably have experience with, can show a stone that has calcium in it, and will give the doctor an idea of the likelihood of whether it can pass, based on it's size (and shape). They can also provide you with analgesia. One of the risks of a large stone is that it can trap urine behind it, even if you are able to pass some. So it's best to at least see what you are dealing with so that it can be decided what the next step is.