What causes pain in shoulder and below breast post smoking withdrawal?

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Tue, 12 May 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am a 66 year old male. Smoked but stopped 29 years ago. Good overall health. Play tennis 3x per week. No heart issues. I have had Chostrocronditis in chest/sternum area before and I had frozen shoulder about 5 years ago. I have deep shoulder ache just behind and below the top of the shoulder bone in the soft tissue area it feels deep. It comes and goes and Advil helps It also is felt sometimes just below the breast near the sternum and can wrap around to just under the scapula on the same line. What do you think? Bursitis, Chrostrocomdritis, something from the prior frozen shoulder (same arm as frozen and same arm for tennis which I have not been playing much lately) The shoulder seems to have range of motion and hurts no worse to use. No other symptoms
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Seems to be due to bursitis.

Detailed Answer:

It is nice to hear that you had quit smoking.
Pain in the area described seems to be due to bursitis. Give rest to the area.Avoid lifting heavy weight.Taking anti-inflammatory drug will be helpful.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Wishing you good health..

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj