• question-icon

What causes pain in chest, arms and shortness of breath?

Posted on Thu, 2 Jun 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have been have left chest pain. It hurts to lift my arms. I am short of breath when i have to move my left side. It hurts under my armpit as well. It hurts when i take a deep breath
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Considerations

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for sending the question to HCM.

I am very concerned about the symptoms which you have described. You reported pain in the left side of your chest and also pain.

Pain while trying to take a deep breath. This can reflect a couple possibilities. Pneumonia or some type of blood clot or a collapse of part of the lung can present with these types of symptoms. In order to figure out what exactly is going on this will require that you see a physician as soon as possible.

I would suggest that you consider going to your local Urgent care or Emergency room as soon as possible.

in addition one must rule out a possible underlying cardiac problem. This can be easily assessed in the urgent care or emergency room setting.

Regarding the weakness of your arms it is difficult to say exactly what that reflects. If you'd lifted heavyweights or exercise vigorously recently this could contribute to the symptoms of arm discomfort.

Thank you again for sending your question. Please go to your local Emergency room or Urgent care center for evaluation as this makes the most sense with the symptoms you have described.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Robert Galamaga 6 minutes later
can i wait til tomorrow
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
unfortunately this needs to be evaluated as soon as possible. I'm concerned that this may be something that could be serious. It could've been worse for you to wait till tomorrow and have more of a problem on your hands.

Please do your best to be evaluated as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga
Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist