What causes pain in back side of leg muscle?

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
Hi My back side of the leg muscle ,below the knee often starts paining ,I don't know the reasons and what necessary medicines or action should be taken to resolve the issue.
Posted Fri, 29 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Muscle cramps seems to be the cause of suffering

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for posting
I have gone through your query and understand your concern. The symptoms you have described are suggestive of muscle cramps. These are caused by hyper excitability of the nerves that stimulate the muscles. Cramps at rest are very common and may be experienced at any age, including childhood. Rest cramps often occur during the night.
The cause of cramps is as following-
1. Low blood levels of either calcium or magnesium directly increase the excitability of both the nerve endings and the muscles they stimulate. Cramps can also occur in excessive vomiting, dehydration.
2. On drugs which causes excessive urination. Leading to low calcium, Magnesium, potassium level. Drugs given for asthma, angina and Parkinsonism also lead to cramps. Cholesterol lowering drugs like statin also cause cramps on chronic use.
3. Several vitamin deficiency states may directly or indirectly lead to muscle cramps. These include deficiencies of thiamine (B1), pantothenic acid (B5), and pyridoxine (B6).
Most cramps can be stopped if the muscle can be stretched. For many cramps of the feet and legs, this stretching can often be accomplished by standing up and walking around. Gently massaging the muscle will often help it to relax, as will applying warmth from a heating pad or hot soak. If the cramp is associated with fluid loss, as is often the case with vigorous physical activity, fluid and electrolyte (especially sodium and potassium) replacement is essential. Certain drugs like baclofen are helpful.
A simple way to prevent cramp is stretch your calf muscle before going to work 3-4 times and each time holding for 10-15 seconds.

I hope this information will be helpful to prevent night cramps. If you have further query I shall be glad to answer.