What causes pain at the base of skull, stiff neck, vomiting and fatigue?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Fri, 26 Aug 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have had a pain at the base of my skull - right side where my neck and skull meet, for about almost 2 weeks. I woke up with it one morning and thought I had slept wrong. It feels like a stiff neck. Very painful turning my head left and right. The pain hasn't gone away with ice or heat. Rubbing it makes it worse. I am running a low temperature - 99.4 - 100.3 every day. Yesterday I've lost my appetite, and yesterday I started vomiting. I'm extremely tired. I'm a female, 63 years of age, have low thyroid, diabetes, high blood pressure, and am about 40 lbs. over weight. I am treated and followed by my doctor for these. I haven't gone in to him because I go so often, and I thought this would go away if I just rest and take Tylenol. I looked up my symptoms on webmd.com and this box came up to consult with a physician online. Can you please let me know what might be causing this and if you think I need to go in to my doctor? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please go to your Doctor for a detailed clinical evaluation

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

In my opinion, conditions such middle ear infection , mastoiditis should be taken in consideration in your case.

There also may be two separate conditions that may cause such symptoms, a viral infection and occipital neuralgia.

Of course it is necessary to get examined by your Doctor about these possibilities.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee