• question-icon

What causes pain and itching of the lips?

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Yes, my bottom lip has extreme pain, itchiness. This has been happening for about 10 days. I was exposed to the sun about two weeks ago and my lips felt very dry and a little painful. I thought I may be getting a cold sore, but the pain has spread across my entire bottom lip. I have used many over the counter remedies, but nothing has helped. I am in a lot of pain. It subsides for a short period of time but seems to flare at a touch or if I move my lips. Help me.
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cheilitis most probably

Detailed Answer:

I read history and then conclude that most probably you may be having cheilitis. The cause may be sun exposure.

I would suggest...

- antihistaminics like desloratidine 5 mg daily till itching is relieved
- short course of antibiotic
- steroid in tapering dose for two weeks
- apply antibiotic with steroid cream

I hope this would help you. To prevent relapse take measures to protect the lip from sun rays.

Thanks.

Dr.Ilyas Patel MD

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Ilyas Patel

Dermatologist