• question-icon

What causes occasional fluttering sensation in the chest?

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: (50y white female. bmi 30. history of gerd and sleep apnea) reported occasional fluttering sensation in chest, onset 3.5 weeks ago. a couple weeks after onset of palpitations she developed symptoms consistent with costochondritis. She denies chest pain or shortness of breath with the palpitations. ekg was NSR with 74 bpm in clinic today. palpitation only occur one - two times / week and last a few seconds. She also has a history of sleep apnea and gerd.
she started nexium a couple weeks prior to onset of palpitations. so we changed her to zantac. but other than that all we can attribute the new symptom to is anxiety or non compliance with c-pap.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
More of anxiety!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks so much for contacting us at healthcare magic.

I have reviewed this information fully. This is most suggestive of anxiety attack. Given the brief and infrequent nature with no repercussions on daily activities, I will not advocate for any drug therapy at this time.

However, monitoring is advised. If the frequency, duration or severity should become concerning, it will warrant that drugs as well and behavioral coping techniques be advised. For now, they are not too justified.

I hope this helps and guides. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be. I always appreciate follow up updates from my clients.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Chobufo Ditah