What causes numbness in the hands while sleeping?

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 20 Sep 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Good morning the last 3-4 days I have been having numbness in 1 or 2 hands when I awake .I also had this same problem on a smaller scale in the past. I do play a lot of golf and the heat index as been out of sight the last month here in XXXXXXX , Tx I am 73 180 lbs 5' 9" real good health otherwise . XXXX 000-000-0000
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be carpal tunnel syndrome

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

It is possible that you have Carpal tunnel syndrome.

This can occur due to repetitive activities involving the hands and wrists as in Golfing, Keyboarding etc.

It is advisable to avoid such activities for 2 weeks and get Nerve conduction velocity (NCV) study done to confirm.

Apply warm packs to the affected region and wrists. You can take Tablet Pregabalin 75mg and Methylcobalamin combination Medicine once at night for a month to help you tide over the symptoms. This is a prescription drug so you need to consult your Hand surgeon or Neurologist in this regard.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu

P.S. You seem to have uploaded tickets to a Church function in this query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar