What causes numbness in left arm and chest pain with normal chest X ray?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Dear Dr,
I Am Female 39 years old .I have had numb in my left arm, Dyspnea and pain in my heart from the front and back side 20days ago and I went to the hospital for chek up . All the examinations was normal like Chest X-Ray , ECG and the blood pleasure also was normal after 5 days rest in the bed I recovered and felt better but today I have the same Symptoms but with out Dyspnea only numb in my left arm and pain in my heart from the front and back side and I do not know what exactly what these Symptoms mean . Please note that last year one time i suffer from the same symptoms and spent one night in the hospital and all my results were normal and I visited many cardiologist and they mentioned that may heart is in good condition , please advice. Thanks in advance
Best regards
XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Could be nerve-related pain.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

I have noted your symptoms and I feel they could be related to nerve compression in the spine.

There are 31 pairs of nerves that arise in spinal cord, and some of them come to arms, forearms and chest. If these nerves get pinched due to slipped disc, similar symptoms as yours would occur.

The diagnosis can be confirmed by doing MRI scan of spine.

I am assuming that cardiac examination and investigations are within normal limits, as a heart problem can cause similar symptoms.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 15 hours later
Dear Dr XXXXXXX

Thanks a lot for your answer.
I went to do the MRI but the specialist in the scan center would like to know which part of spine I have to do the MRI. please advice.
Best regards
XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
CERVICAL SPINE.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

You need to do the MRI scan of cervical spine.

Please keep me informed about the MRI report.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 43 hours later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX I hope your doing well. Pls find the attached report for your conformation and guidance . Best regards
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
MRI shows disc disease.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back with MRI reports.

It shows disc disease (bulged discs) at two levels in the neck, which is causing mild pressure on the nerves. This is very mild and there is no need to worry.

Treatment would consist of medications such as pregabalin capsules and physiotherapy (neck extension exercises, IFT, ultrasound, etc).

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)