• question-icon

What causes numbness in finger tips?

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: I'm having numbness on my left hand finger tips... it's been going on for three days. what is cause of this?
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please tell some more details.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX,
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist,here to answer your query.

If you would have presented to me as an outpatient,I would have asked you the following details-
1)Is it more in day or night?
2)Do some activities increase it?If yes,what?
3)Did you have any similar history in past?
4)Is it associated with tingling or other paresthesias?
5)Any past disease history like Diabetes,thyroid disorder or some other disease?
6)Any history of trauma or injury which may relate to this?

Please follow up with details so that I can answer this well.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)

Follow up: Dr. Ajay Panwar 13 hours later
it's though out the day and there's no particular activity that increases the numbness. There is no history of this issue. It is associated with tingling, no history of Diabetes, thyroid disorder or other disease. No history of trauma. I recently had weight loss surgery in XXXXXXX of this year.

Thanks
XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs observation for some time.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX,
Thanks for being in follow-up with details.

Considering your clinical history,as of now,this is not pointing towards anything conclusive.Though,it may be the onset of neuropathy or radiculopathy.

I suggest that you should incorporate mental relaxation exercises like meditation/yoga in your lifestyle and try to remain stress free.If symptoms persist for another few days,please visit a neurologist in person, for a physical examination.

You may have to undergo nerve conduction studies and X-ray(or preferably MRI) of cervical spine,if the symptoms persist.

Hope that helps.If you have some further questions,I shall be glad to have you in follow-up.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist