What causes numb feet and sore on toe when diagnosed with RA?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Specialist

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My father (age 89) is experiencing numbness in his feet and has a sore that won't heal on the second toe of his left foot. The podiatrist cannot detect a pulse in his foot. We are now waiting for an appointment with the local wound care center. Dad has rheumatoid arthritis and has been on methotrexate for years. If his wound doesn't heal, do you think he will need to have a toe or even his whole foot amputated?
Thank you. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, toe amputation may be necessary at present.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for asking.
I am Dr. Prakash HM and I will be answering your query.
Based on your query, my opinion is as follows:

1. The loss or absence of pulse in the foot indicates damage to the blood vessel.
2. It could be secondary to rheumatoid arthritis induced vascular damage. This vascular damage has affected the nerve and hence resulted in numbness.
3. At present, without circulation, there is no possibility of healing. And non-healing wound is at a risk of infection, which can spread to other parts of the body. Depending on circulation, amputation will be necessary. If circulation above toe is good, toe amputation should help. Whole foot amputation may not be necessary for now.
4. Improving immunity through protein rich diet along with vitamin supplements will be helpful.

Hope it helps.
Any further quereis, here to help again.

Dr. Prakash HM
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad