• question-icon

What causes neuropathic pain and an ankle rash while having Guillain-Barre syndrome?

Posted on Fri, 11 Aug 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My husband suffers from neuropathic pain due to Guillain-Barre Syndrome. He has a persistent and painful rash around his left ankle. Have had it cultured for bacteria and/or staff, both came back negative. One patch is crusty and bleeds. Any suggestions?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please upload an image

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Your concern consists of two broad parts.

The first is the neuropathic pain and the second is the sore/rash. Regarding the pain, it is likely to be due to peripheral neuropathy.

Deficiency of Vitamin B12 could be involved and taking methyl-cobalamine (Vitamin B12) 1500 mcg supplement per day for at least a couple of weeks could help in improving the situation. You may also need to give him agents like Gabapentin to control the pain.

Secondly, I would insist you to regularly dress the rash/sore with an alcohol rub. The massage plays an important role. I would insist you to upload an image of the affected area. It will enable me to guide you further specifically.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha