What causes nausea in an hyperthyroid patient?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Sat, 4 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: I am an 83years of age lady. For years have had hyperthyroidism. Am on medication. For a few months now, have nausea after getting up each day & don't feel too well ! I have nodules . Doc is going to strengthen the Meds as the blood test has shown something is not going too well. Wondering if this can be the cause of the nausea ? ( I HAD wondered if it was caused by a 5mg Morphine pain-patch I was using)
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Supportive care

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. nausea is a broad symptom and attributed to multiple factors. In your case, uncontrolled hyperthyroidism , age related functional bowel decline, simultaneous use of morphine which reduce gastric motility and thus all these three factors can lead to nausea. All you need to do is take some gastric motility enhancing medication for the relief and use the medications compliantly. Along with it, eat small frequent meals, avoid fatty foods, spices, processed and canned foods, alcohol, beverages, soda, coffee etc. Prefer fiber , fluids, peppermint and yogurt.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan