What causes nausea, acid reflux and constipation?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Fri, 18 Aug 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Is it possible that I could have a sliding hernia just under my breast bone that causes a tightness in my upper abdomen. When I stress that area it feels like my intestines are trying to push through. I have never actually seen or felt a bulge but I do have to push in on the area to keep it from hurting. I often have acid reflux and nausea and constipation as well.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It may be an epigastric hernia.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

It is possible that you have a defect in your abdominal wall called an epigastric hernia.

A careful exam by your doctor will likely show this type of hernia. The exam should be done with you standing up, and with the doctor's hand above the are that you feel this symptom in. Then you share bare down (called a Valsalva maneuver) to increase intra-abdominal pressure. The doctor may also feel along an area called the linea XXXXXXX to see if he/she can feel any lumps of fat protruding through it.

Most hernias can be diagnosed this way, but sometimes imaging studies are needed (ultrasound, CT or MRI).

Treatment usually involves compression or support of the area; but if the hernia is creating a lot of problems for you, then surgical repair is indicated.

So the thing to do at this point is to go in for an exam.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.