What causes muscle pain and swollen lymph nodes in groin area?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in HIV and AIDS
Question: 10 weeks on and my test still reads negative. in fact I forced the person I suspected may have given me hiv to a test and she is negative. But I still have muscle aches and my lymph node by my groin is pea sized, the ones by my ampit are slightly arching. If i try to have sex with my wife without protection the muscle aches will increase through out the following day so I have stopped without protection. why the aches still? do you think the recurrent pain after I meet with my wife is an indication that whatever that is in me and causing the aches (hiv) is in her. on the 25th of this month it will be 3 months after exposure and I will have another test. But in the interim please advise me on what you think about my status and regards to my experience with my wife.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
I think it has to do with muscle fatigue

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query and would like you to know that I am here to help.

I would like to start by asking which investigations you have undergone to confirm the absence of HIV and at what duration after the date of exposure to a suspected HIV-infected individual. This information would greatly help me in letting you know whether the conducted investigations are conclusive enough or not.

As for sexual intercourse with your wife, please practice safe intercourse with your wife as it is better to be safe than sorry.

It is also important to note that, if at all the partner you suspected to have HIV would have HIV, then this would have been from a period before you have sexual relations with her. And so, by the time she conducted the HIV test, if she had HIV, then she should have returned a positive result which she did not. This means she most probably did not have HIV before she had relations with you. Which could also mean that you are both HIV-free.

Now coming to the main aspect of your query, which are the muscle cramps the day following sexual intercourse with your wife; in my opinion they have nothing to do with HIV at all sir. If at all the muscle aches are present only on the following day and for a few days after, then this could suggest the following:

-Muscular exertion caused during sexual intercourse that has resulted in muscle ache
-Loss of nutrients due to the physical activity (eg. potassium, sodium, etc.)
-Possible signs of a glycaemic index abnormality (please check on your blood sugar)
-Complete STD panel (just to be on the safer side, as you have only been concentrating on HIV, when other infections will also have to be ruled out). Although unlikely, as all other infections will have many other symptoms, but it may help to conduct this and rule out other causes.
and a few other causes that can result in muscle cramps and aches after sexual intercourse.

No sir, I do not think the recurrent pain after sexual intercourse with your wife is because she has an infection that you are suspecting to have given to her, but simply because of the physical activity of sexual intercourse itself.

Please note that sexual intercourse is a physical activity that is close to exercise. Having muscle aches and cramps after swimming, or jogging or going to the gym is considered normal, and so is it after sexual intercourse sir.

Do keep me informed about the test being conducted and the result due to be conducted on the 25th of this month.

I hope you find my response helpful sir. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you.

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 58 minutes later
Thank you Dr Shaoib.

I am actually not suggesting that I am off the hook and that's why I am doing another test on 3 month mark which is 25th of july.

The test we conducted is the antibodies rapid test which experts say is 97% by 3 months.

I also conducted the Rapid plasma reagin test that came out as non reactive but that was at the 6th week after exposure. The present test that also came out negative was conducted at the 10th week after exposure.
could you please suggest to me any other tests to conduct to identity if there are other disease in my wife or i. Her last test done 2 weeks ago was a urine culture that had no growth. Which other tests do you suggest we conduct to identify any disease hibernating in us to cause pains if it is not hiv.
i am told that even if we have hiv that i should not have the kind of post burning sensation allover my body after we have sex. is it true?

I do not engage in vigorous sex making and do not expect the kind of pains I am having. Again this is what I do often how is it that the pain just started if there is no remote cause.

Yesterday i tried using protection and I did not have the burning sensation in my muscles but this needs to be sorted out conclusively.

l actually need help and is freaking out over this whole episode.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tests suggested sir- STD panel

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again sir.

As mentioned in my previous response, an STD panel which consists of investigations to check on all sexually transmitted diseases is the test to be conducted, it consists of:
-Chlamydia
-Gonorrhea
-HIV
-Syphilis
-Hepatitis (which is seen in association with other infections)
-Herpes
-Human papillomavirus (HPV)
These should more than suffice sir. Once these are all ruled out, we can assume other causes like nutritional deficiencies, muscle fatigue, etc; to be the cause.

Yes sir, what you have been told is correct; your muscle fatigue and symptoms are unrelated to HIV or any other infection.

Whether or not it is vigorous love making sir, muscle fatigue is common after any physical activity. The use of protection with the absence of symptoms does not really prove anything sir. As 'if' you have the infection and have been exposed to it, being protected from it now and not having the symptoms does not make sense.

I hope you find my response helpful sir. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help.

Best of luck.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 11 hours later
Dr Shoaib,
Sorry to. Disturb you again. Look at my thinking concerning the burning sensation in the muscles. People in acute hiv have defferent symptoms. Assuming I have acute hiv now and one of my own symptoms is muscle pains. Do you not think that anytime I come incantact through unprotected sex with somebody that has hiv that the muscle pains will come back again? I am not an expert you are but please consider this and advice me further. I just want to be sure of what is happening.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Scenarios explained sir

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again sir.

You can write to me anytime sir, you can never disturb me, I am always here to help.

Assuming you have HIV sir, and your symptom is of muscular pain, you need not have unprotected intercourse with someone for your symptoms to appear. Your muscular pains will be present at any given time.

Next, if you do not have HIV and have come in contact with a person who does have HIV, then you will experience symptoms of HIV if you have contracted HIV from that person, only after a few days/weeks/months, not the very next day sir.

So in either scenarios, this is not possible sir. I hope this helps you understand things better sir.

Please do not hesitate to ask me any questions or queries you have, I am here to help you till you have reached satisfaction.

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 6 minutes later
Thank you Dr. Shoaib i appreciate you so much. Will keep in contact with you. i believe God that i do not have any illness that will slow me down in life. Thank you again for your selfless efforts.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Best of luck sir

Detailed Answer:
Hi sir.

Thank you so much for your kind words. Please stay safe and write to me anytime you need my assistance, do not hesitate.

My best wishes and prayers are with you, live healthy and happy.

God bless.