What causes mucus discharge from vagina?

Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 6 Nov 2015 in Women's Health
Question: question to Dr XXXXXXX
What does it.mean that I now see a mucous discharge with on and off burning. No odor.
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 29 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are recovering.

Detailed Answer:

This means you are recovering. If the burning sensation is due to the infection only, it will also disappear as healing continues. The presence of mucous discharge is part of the normal process. Even otherwise, vaginal discharge is a normal feature with varying consistency throughout the menstrual cycle denoting the hormone status.

Hope your query has been answered. Please contact if you need any more clarifications. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Shanti Vennam 41 hours later
I finished fluconazole last Tuesday. Now I still see a very thick clear mucuos discharge. sometimes a lot and sometimes burning. How long will this take to be over and what is happening inside of me. Today is Friday.
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please have a follow up visit.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

The burning sensation should disappear in another 3-4 days if it is due to infection alone. Mucous discharge is a normal phenomenon and not to be worried about unless it is foul smelling, very profuse or in altered color. Please have a follow up visit to your consultant and get advise on further prophylaxis.

Please do not use tampons during a period; instead, use sanitary napkins and also change them every 4-5 hours. Any sanitary pad or tampon retained for more than 8 hours becomes a good culture medium for infections to thrive. Also, do not douche or use very strong soap solutions to clean the genital region.

Hope this helps.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Follow up: Dr. Shanti Vennam 1 hour later
I will visit my consultant next week. This mourning i see a white thick discharge again. Infection is coming back? What other medicine should i get. What other infection could cause this white discharge. I did not see that the fluconazol did help. Today it is burning sgain.

Also there is no odor
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Bacterial vaginosis should also be excluded.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

In the current scenario, you may have to repeat the swab test and see if there is any bacterial vaginosis since you have persistent burning sensation. If this is so, Fluconazole is not going to help and you would need antibiotics. Yet, the lack of odor mostly rules out bacterial vaginosis. Another possibility is a residual infection which needs further treatment either on a weekly or monthly basis until all symptoms cease. If needed, you can also be prescribed estrogen cream to enhance tissue strength.

Hope this helps.

regards,
Shanti.V.