What causes mild pain on the left side of the mouth?

Dr. Abhijit Sonawane

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Dear Doctor,

I have recently started getting a slight pain on the left side of my mouth. I suspect it to be on the left tonsillar pillar (not sure).

There seems to be a white area/spot/lump on the left pillar (refer to the attached photos)

The pain only occurs when I yawn (or stretch my mouth) and when I touch the white area.

I recently got a slight pain on the cheekbones and slight headaches hence why I have visited my GP yesterday, and said that I had a slight cold which attacked my sinuses. He said that I have a slight red throat, getting slightly dry from time to time.

Have been taking Brufen and spraying Hysan since this morning.

I would really appreciate an answer as I am quite worried about the white area.

Answered by Dr. Abhijit Sonawane 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It looks like tonsil stone. needs dental examination

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting in HCM.
I read your query and also saw the pics you uploaded.
From the only complaints you have given, it could be a tonsil stone.
They look similar as the picture that you have uploaded.
As you have not mentioned about fever, I assume you have no fever. In this condition, if abscess was suspected you should have had fever too. Hence I don’t feel it could be abscess.
To confirm the diagnosis, it will be helpful if you could visit a dentist and get the examination done by a medical professional. If it’s a stone, it could be just removed by giving pressure on the sides and it will pop out.
But do not try this at home unless diagnosis is confirmed. Get it examined and then only get it removed from a doctor.
I hope I have answered your query well.
If you have any more question kindly write back to me, will be happy to help you out.
Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. Abhijit Sonawane 18 minutes later
Dear Doctor,

Should I be worried about this? What else could it be?

Does it look like anything serious should it not be a tonsil stone?

Kindly note that it hurts less when I am hydrated, but quite painful to the touch. Is it normal for tonsil stones to cause pain?

Thanks and regarda,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Sonawane 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly read ahead

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for following up.
Its not something to be worried of or something that could be fatal.
Only thing is the pain might persist if not taken care of as early as possible.
White spot on tonsil have very narrow possibilities.
Either it could be-
1. tonsillitis
2. tonsil stone
3. sore throat
Among these, 1st and 3rd usually present with fever too. As you do not have any fever, I have ruled them out based on history. Hence on what you have told me and the picture, I have deduced it could be stone.
Also its a single spot/bump. Usually in infection there would be multiple small small white patches over both tonsils.
I do not feel its something very serious. But do not prolong the treatment for it as if its as stone, it could rub on inside and cause inflammation and probably infection.
Yes, tonsil stones do cause pain during stretching of the tonsil only. Otherwise they just sit there without any problem unless touched or other activities.
So get it examined from a dentist and get it treated.
I hope your doubts are cleared.
Feel free to ask if anything else.
Thank you