What causes lump on occipital bone and swollen lymph node at neck?

Posted on Thu, 10 Apr 2014 in Lump
Question: Yesterday I noticed a painful grape size lump on the right side of my occipital bone. About 3-4 fingers back from ear. It is hard and feels like bone. I also have a small enlarged node down lower on that side of back of neck. The entire area feels different than left. No cold, fever or ear pain
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 52 minutes later
Brief Answer: can be infected sebaceous cyst Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for writing to HCM. That can be an infected sebaceous cyst as other swellings that can present there are lipoma and dermoid cyst and both of them are neither hard nor painful nor associated with lymph node enlargement. Other rare possibility is that of a cutaneous tumour or bone tumour, but they are very rare. It will be better if you show it to a surgeon for a physical examination and a needle biopsy if he feels so. If that comes to be infected sebaceous cyst only then he may start you on antibiotics to control the infection followed by its excision, which is a minor procedure done usually on out patient basis under local anaesthesia. Hope, that i have answered to all your queries. If you have further queries, i will be glad to answer them. Regards Dr. Ashish Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Ashish Verma 9 minutes later
I am in medicine so I have basic understanding of reasons for this lump. It appears that the muscle along back of neck is a little swollen or tight as well.
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: that is due to inflammation Detailed Answer: Hi, That can be due to inflammation following the infection. Better you then start on a antibiotic and antiinflammatory drugs in consultation with your local doctor. Regards Dr. Ashish Verma
Dr. Ashish Verma

General Surgeon