What causes trigeminal neuralgia post a cosmetic surgery?

Posted on Wed, 21 Jun 2017 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I AM A 45 YR OLD FEMALE WHO HAD FCIAL REONSTRUCTION SURGERY IN 2009 TO THE OCCIPITAL BONE AND JAW ALONG WITH SCREWS AND REFORMING SCREEN. EVERY TIME IT RAINS MY FACE HURTS AND OR I GET MIGRAINES. hOW CAN THIS BE TREATED?

Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Depends on the cause.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Given the relationship of this worsening of the symptoms with the weather I would suggest as a first step to consider the possibility of sinusitis as the cause. When there is a sinus congestion with obstruction of airflow changes in atmospheric pressure are difficult to balance and may result in headache which may commonly be facial. So I would suggest an ENT consult to check your sinuses. If that is the cause treatment would include irrigation of nasal cavities with saline water, use of a humidifier at home and if those are not enough nasal decongestants.

If sinus origin is excluded then it should be treated as a primary headache, probably tension type headache or migraine. In that case if the episodes are frequent (over twice a month)then preventive medication should be considered, several alternatives available, I would recommend amitriptyline as a first choice. If they are rare then only treatment of the episode itself with over the counter pain killers like Ibuprofen would be recommended.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist