What causes lump in subareolar region of right breast?

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Thu, 4 Jun 2015 in Cancer
Question: Hi,
I am 26 yrs and breastfeeding mother. I have a breast lump measuring 1cm in subaerola in right breast. We did fnac and the result came as fibrocystic change. After fnac I started getting pain in my right back shoulder and my ortho said its bec of bulgded disc in neck and prescribed me painkiller and physiotherapy. Recently we did a scan of breast and found new complex cyst in left side measuring 0.7cm and I could see visible veins in both breast. I doubt the shoulder pain is bec of the tumor. Could you pls tell me is this something serious. My blood test show elevated esr 55. I also attaching my reports for your review. Kindly tell me what should I do to. Since I am breastfeeding I can't do excisional biopsy. Is there any test to confirm.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Does not seem to be of concern

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I do understand your concerns. However, it does not seem to be anything serious. The cyst is small and these small cysts are often seen in lactating mothers. FNAC also showed fibrocystic disease. I would not order lumpectomy in any such patient coming to me.

The shoulder pain is not related to this. This is quite common during lactation due to improper back support. You should support your back adequately during feeding.

So I think you just need followup. May be after 6-8 weeks you can get it examined by your doctor again. That would provide further reassurance.

Hope this helps. I will be available for followup.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
My gynec suggested lumpectomy and I am afraid tat it cause problem in breastfeeding. Wat are the future problems in doing. The cyst appeared in 1 month gap between two scan. Last scan shows no cyst or mass in left breast and this time it has developed. Waiting can be a problem?
I am so much worried and couldn't concentrate on anything. So far I have taken 4 US scan in 6 months. Is it safe to do regular ultrasound scan. Will there be any impact of doing ultrasound regularly. Is MRI more detail than ultrasound
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Ultrasound is safe

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for followup.

I don't think lumpectomy will cause problem in breast feeding but anyways I would have liked to wait. Lumpectomy is a safe procedure. Another way will be to do a core needle biopsy, which is like FNAC but gets more tissue for a better diagnosis. Anyway, your consulting doctor is the best person to judge.

Ultrasounds are safe so no need to worry about that. MRI is more accurate and can be done even during lactation.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj