What causes lower left abdominal pain, gas and bloating?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have pain in my lower left side. Gas and bloating. Diverticulosis was found on a colonoscopy I had in March 2017. I have been treating it myself by eating more fiber, drinking a lot of water and moving around. The pain has been in that area since Monday night. I have even taken a laxative and a teaspoon of olive oil. I have been able to eliminate, but the pain is still there. Suggestions?
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be enteritis.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking your query on HealthcareMagic my dear patient,
Have gone through your details and i appreciate your concerns.
See as per my opinion there are two possibilities-
1) Acute enteritis-Which means that there is infection in gut.Due to infection there is inflammation in intestines,therefore spasmodic pain would be there when ever intestines would move(peristalsis) Bloating gas acidity constipation nausea loose stools etc could always be there.
2) Recurrence of Diverticulosis(As pain is there in left lower are).This site is very specific for diverticulosis.
Suggestion-
Go for Ultra sound abdomen
A stool test

Rx
Tablet Azithromycin 500mg should be taken once daily with Tablet Metrogyl 400mg thrice daily(would cover both enteritis as well as diverticulitis).
Antispasmodic like dicyclomine 10mg twice daily can be taken for pain.
Cap Pantoprzole 40 mg twice daily for bloating or gas.

You would need a prescription for it.

Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng