question-icon

What causes lower back pain while having IBS?

Posted on Thu, 24 Nov 2016
Question: Is it normal to have back pain low back pain with IBS C. I have been put on constella for IBS C but I have lost the urge to go it is very difficult for me to go to the bathroom without straining even though my stools are solid but soft in the morning what can I do about that to get the normal urge back
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko (14 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Urine analysis should be done.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Lower back pain is not a part of IBS C disease. Back pain however can appear due to kidney infection which very often appears due to stool problems (both constipation and diarrhea). Spine is always possible reason of back pain.
If it is a very low back pain, rectum inflammation can be the reason as well. But this is rather rare symptom.

I suggest you to have urine analysis done at first.

Hope this helps.
Regards.
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon