• question-icon

What causes low semen value post a vasectomy?

Posted on Sat, 14 May 2016 in Men's Health
Question: i had a visctomy in 2011 in the last few months i have a decrese in the volume i ejaculate
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Vasectomy unlikely to be the cause

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.
Thank you for the query.

Vasectomy interrupts the flow of sperm from the testis to the ejaculation passage. Thus usually is a very small component of the semen.Normally, the bulk of semen is composed of secretions from prostate and seminal vesicles which are not affected by previous vasectomy surgery.
The best way to know for sure if you indeed have loss of semen volume is by getting your ejaculate tested. Ideally, this should be done after at least 3-5 days of abstinence, and ensuring that you do not spill any amount of your ejaculate. I also suggest that in your case, you also immediately give your urine for evaluation after the ejaculation, just to confirm that no part if semen us going back into the bladder in a retrograde manner.
If there is no sperm in the ejaculate, as you anyway have been vasectomized earlier, but all the other parameters are normal, there should be no reason to worry.

Hope I have been of help.
Get back to me if you have further query.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Dr. V. Sasanka

Urologist