What causes low platelet count in blood while on Tegretol?

Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Thu, 8 Sep 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have I had blood work done on Monday and my platelet count came back at 66. Things were fine 3 months ago, and this has never happened before. My doctor is having me see my psychiatrist about my dosage of tegretol, and I will be going there tomorrow. I have been on tegretol for years and there has never been a problem. Is 66 dangerously low?
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Strong possibility of side effect of tegretol - cause of low platelets.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.

First of all I would suggest you not to stop or decrease dose of tegretol without consulting your treating doctor.
The drug is used for psychiatric disorders and it should not be stopped all together but it should be tapered off slowly.
Secondly, low platelet count can occur as side effect of tegretol due to its bone marrow suppressive side effect.
Thus, I would suggest you to consult your treating doctor as well as hematologist to find out cause of low platelet count.
Low platelet can occur due to many other causes also, however, the side effect of tegretol is the first possibility unless proven otherwise.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja Puri

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Shailja Puri 51 minutes later
Thank you. That is what my primary care Dr is thinking. It's strange though that I have been on Tegretol for at least 10 years and have never had this effect. Due to diabetes and low Testosterone, I have blood work every 3 months, so my levels are well-monitored. I will be seeing my psychiatrist tomorrow to discuss this.
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Development of new side effect against a drug can occur.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome again,

It is not uncommon to develop a new side effect against a drug which is being taken for a long duration.

Thanks and Take care
Dr Shailja Puri
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee