What causes low libido, dizziness, fatigue and spotting post intake of Lutenyl?

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Tue, 30 Aug 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi, I was found to have two fibroids (& polyps) of not more that 4cm each. One of the fibroids was causing pressure on the lower part of my spine, hence i was having acute back pain, with discs protruding outside, etc.
The gyn was consulted, he advised to have a hysterectomy. After careful considerations, i asked for alternatives. He put me on lutenyl, for 20 days, 3 per day, in one go after meals.
In fact instead of doing the hysterectomy, we decided to go for a D&C polypectomy. Then he said to start the lutenyl 5 days after the polypectomy.
My last periods (last day) was 8 days before the polypectomy. In fact, if we disregard the polypectomy, i started taking lutenyl 20 days after my last periods.
After 8 days of lutenyl, on the 9th day, i started having spotting. It's been 6 days now. And I'm fed up with this. On top of that I am on my nerves - I get angry faster! I have lost my libido. I feel dizzy from time to time. And feel tired in the limbs often. My doctor is on vacation out of the country.
Can I just stop taking the lutenyl? My last dose is in 6 days (today is Monday, therefore, the coming Saturday). Will i stop having the spotting? Will i recover from this loss of libido? What can i expect of my periods after that.
Please help!!!
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can stop the drug

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.Irregular spotting after polypectomy can be due to polypectomy or due to the side effect of Lutenyl, which is a hormonal medication.
Loss of libido is not the side effect of Lutenyl.
However, hormonal changes due to the drug can lead to loss of libido, dizziness and excessive anger.
You can stop the drug, but that will lead to withdrawal bleeding within3-5 days of stopping it.
Loss of libido will gradually recover. The spotting will convert into withdrawal bleeding.
However, if Lutenyl is causing discomfort, then it is better to stop it.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Maternal and fetal medicine specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 32 minutes later
Hello Doctor,

Thank you for the prompt reply.
So this means that if I continue and complete the 20 days of lutenyl, it won't make any difference, as the spotting will still continue for the next days?
Let's say I have completed the course of the lutenyl, will I still bleed just after? Or will I get my periods at some point? The thing is that I'm totally confused with this medication! I don't know what to expect after the meds are over? When am I supposed to have my periods again, if I complete the course? And how long will it take for my hormones to readjust so that I can be normal again..

Thank you for taking time to answer me XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Bleeding can occur within 3-7 days

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
Yes, the spotting can occur while on Lutenyl.
If you complete the course of Lutenyl, then the bleeding can occur from first day of leaving the medicine to upto 1 week after.
Your hormonal changes will normalize within a week of stopping the drugs.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 17 hours later
Hello Doctor,

Thank you so much for your feedback.
I have decided to complete the course of the medication, and let nature take over after that!
God bless, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Happy to help

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I am happy to have helped you.
You can get back to me anytime for further queries by asking a direct question to me on the health care magic portal.
Dr Deept Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 3 hours later
Hello Doctor,
Yes I do have a couple more questions: According to you, why was I prescribed lutenyl? Does lutenyl cause fibroids to shrink?
What other treatments (medicine or natural) are there to replace lutenyl, so that patient does not have spotting nor bleeding?
Can the periods be stopped (so that fibroids do not grow bigger before periods)? Not by hysterectomy; but by other medicines?
Thank you for your time, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Oral contraceptive pills reduce the fibroid size

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
Lutenyl is oral contraceptive pills which is given to shrink the fibroids and reduce the symptoms.
Lutenyl can be replaced by other oral contraceptives or progesterone medications like medroxyprogesterone acetate.
Uterine artery embolization can be done to shrink the fibroids.
GnRh analogues can be used to stop the periods and shrink the fibroid size.
Dr Deepti Verma
Dear Doctor,
Thank you very much for the details provided!
Best regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Happy to help

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I am happy to have helped you.
I am available on this portal anytime for your health related issues.
You can ask a direct question to me anytime.
Dr Deepti Verma