What causes low levels despite taking Dextroamphetamine dose?

Dr. Srikanth Reddy

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Question: I haIve been taking dextroamphetamine for over 30 years. Recently I I had a tox screen which is routine and although I had taken my medication as directed the test showed a very low amount in my system. this has never happened before and don't understand why it did this as I had not varied my medication routine. I took the test within 2 hours of their request and 2 hours after my last dose. what could cause a result like this?
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Clarifications

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for using Health Care magic for posting your query.
I have gone through your question in detail and I can uderstand what you are going through.
Wanted to know a few more details:
1) Are you on any other medicines other than dextroamphetamine?
2) When was the last level checked other than the one mentio0ned in the question?
Hope to hear from your these clarifications at your convenience.
Kind regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD
Follow up: Dr. Srikanth Reddy 3 hours later
I also take the following medications & supplements: welbutrin, arimidex, alprazolam, aspirin, calcium, magnesium, vitamin d 3, llyzine & a stool softer & nexium. My previous test was a year ago & no unusual results were mentioned to me. I also was diagnosed with breastfeeding cancer last Oct. & had a lumpecto.y in Dec. My pathology report was excellent & required no further treatment other than arimidex. My cancer was caught extremely early with a tumor about 1st & was at early stage 1 & I have routine check ups. All the testing done before surgery in Dec.had normal results & nothing of concern.
I meant breast cancer not breastfeeding cancer.
Also my tumor was about 1cm. No 1st.
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Drug interaction can be blamed

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for all the additional information. The dextroamphetamine which you take by mouth is metabolized in the body and then the end products are scanned for in the urine. Now the rate of metabolism varies by many factors and drug interaction being the commonest one. The fact that you are on so many drugs which have a possible interaction with dextroamphetamine metabolism can lead to the issue which you are facing. You have mentioned that until last year results were all right but with the start of the drug armidex, the levels of dextroamphetamine have changed. Now its difficult to pinpoint on one drug as there are plenty of others, however untill you are clinically doing well, the levels in urine should not matter much.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy
Wish you good health,
Kind regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.