What causes low grade fever, painful tonsil and swallowing difficulty?

Dr. Muhammad Ahmad

Posted on Wed, 13 Apr 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Is this strep?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ahmad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes seems like and infection and commonly its strept.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing.

I am Dr.Muhammad Ahmad. I have read your question completely, i understand your concern and will try to help you in best way possible.

Yes this seems like an infected tonsil and most commonly it is strept .Though without culture one can't confirm.

i would like to know a few more things.

1) Is this painful?
2) Are you having fever?
3) Do you commonly get tonsil infection?
Do you have difficulty in taking in the food.
4) Since when do you have it?

I hope this answered your question, a
if you have more please feel free to ask.

Regrads.

Dr.Muhammad Ahmad.

M.B.B.S(Licensed Family Physician)
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Ahmad 8 minutes later
It is painful. I think I have a low grade fever. I am at work, so I do not have a thermometer. I had my tonsils removed in 2012. I have a history of tonsilitis and strep. Swallowing is difficult. I have been consuming liquids only. This started yesterday .
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ahmad 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is indeed infected throat and needs treatment.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for writing back,

it indeed looks like an infection and i suspect you will be having fever... it must be tonsiller pillars infected if you do not have tonsils and that is why you have low grade fever.
If you had infected tonsils it is usually a high grade fever.

It will need antibiotics to be treated for now you can take Tylenol or ibuprofen to relieve pain and fever but you will also be needing antibiotics for cure. They are prescription drugs so you will need to see your doctor for that. If he too thinks there is a need of antibiotics he will start them.

I would usually give such patient Augmentin 625 MG twice a day.. it has good civer for strept.

You have been having strept in the past and it seems that you are again having it. Not a large infected are but it will need proper medication and 3..4 days to cure.

Regards.

Dr.Muhammad Ahmad.