What causes low grade fever after a surgery?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Infections
Question: I had surgery 9 days ago started developing low grade fever surgeon said this is common as long as doesn't go over 101.5 is this true need second opinion
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
100.4 is the demarcation point rest true

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking
Your doctor is right.but the vakue is abi5 exaggerated.its not 101.4.its 100.4 or 38 C.any thing beyond that is a manifestation of underlying infecrion.post operative fever of mild severity are very common and normal ad wound management and effect of anesthetic medications and a stress full phase of body recovery makes that inevitable.thanks to cytokines IL 1 6 and TNF. They release from wound site and cause this.
Underlying causes like surgical site infection, urinary tract infection ( due to catheterization) , hospital acquired infections and nosocomial pneumonia , drug fever etc need to be ruled out.
Fever if high grade though indicates some infection most likely wound mismanagement and complications needing antibiotics and prompt care and proper care of the wound.
I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and don't forget to close the discussion please .
May the odds be ever in your favour.
Regards XXXXXXX