What causes low TSH?

Dr. Minal Mohit

Endocrinologist

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: My wife's Thyroid Hormone Analysis shows the following results. The test was done by us just for curiosity only and not related to any other problems. My wife is not taking any medicines.

TriIodothyronine T3 (ELFA) = 1.61ng/ml
Thyroxine T4 (ELFA) = 15.14ug/dl
Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) (ELFA) = <0.05uIU/ml

25-Hydroxy VitaminD (ELA) = 15.9ng/ml

It shows that the TSH and Vitamin D are very low. My questions are...

1. What is causing this such a low TSH
2. What is the remedy for this low TSH
3. Is this fully curable through medication?.
4. Is the TSH and Vitamin D problems are related?
5. Which specialist doctor should we consult for the above problems?

Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Let us attempt one by one.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mr. XXXXXX!
1. low TSH can be due to three reasons a) high T4 causing TSH suppression b) Pituitary not producing TSH, c) acute thyroiditis in some recovery phase
In your wife's case , t3 and t4 are normal. so second and third probability is high.
now for pituitary suppression there must be other features like - weight gain, depression , low BP, low sugars, weakness, irregular periods. is she having any of these?
2. remedy - treatment will depend upon cause. so first make sure the cause of low TSH.
3. yes treatment will be medical whatever the reason.
4. The two are not related. you need to treat them separately.
5. you need an endocrinologist to answer your problems.
regards!