Does low BP cause cold sensation in the feet?

Dr. Rishu Saxena

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 7 May 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My legs from knee's down to feet feel like ice when touched. When I get up in morning they feel warm but a couple hours later they feel like ice to touch. Could low BP cause this?
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Rishu Saxena 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Most likely it could be due to blockage in artery.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking question on this forum sir,
It's very likely not related to blood pressure rather there could be a possibility of blockage in any of the major artery supplying leg below knees.
When you are asleep the baseline blood requirement of legs is less hence below knee part is warm however once your day starts overall blood requirement increases.Due to block in artery demand can't be met causing less blood flow hence temperature fall.
Suggestion
color doppler of legs as soon as possible to rule out blockage in artery.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Rishu Saxena 50 minutes later
Thank you. I will follow up with your reply on my next Dr. appt. XXXXXXX
Brief Answer:
Thanks!

Detailed Answer:
Welcome.
Follow up: Dr. Rishu Saxena 2 hours later
Sir, I sit in a wheelchair all day. Would this have anything to have to do with blood circulation?
Thank you XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rishu Saxena 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
follow up answer.

Detailed Answer:
Definitely yes,
Try to ambulate yourself.
Ambulation would help your veins to contract and relax causing blood to flow properly.
If you can’t ambulate then try to move your legs on wheel chair only.
You may also learn some exercises from a physiotherapist or from youtube channels.
This would definitely help you a lot.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Rishu Saxena 6 hours later
Thank you. My fiance was telling me about exercises done in WC. I need to listen to her too! She used to work in home healthcare. Thank you again. XXXXXXX