• question-icon

What causes lightheadedness, severe fatigue and hallucinations with elevated BP levels?

Posted on Fri, 27 May 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Blood pressure over 30 reading is 197/135. The last two days it is been 80/35 and 70/30. I've been very lightheaded extremely tired and having some kind of hallucinate I thought I could see our tile in the shower moving. Should I go to the hospital
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that your symptoms seem to be related to low blood pressure.

You should know that hallucinations are related to the low blood perfusion to the brain, caused by low blood pressure.

Are you taking any anti-hypertensive drugs?

I recommend not to take any anti-hypertensive drugs and go to the ER for a careful check up and some tests:

- a resting ECG
- some blood lab tests (complete blood count, blood electrolytes, kidney and liver function tests, fasting glucose).

You may need intravenous fluids.

Meanwhile I recommend you to lye down and avoid physical activity (to avoid possible falling) and take plenty of water (to stay well hydrated). A coffee would be helpful.

Hope to have been helpful!

Best wishes,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 6 minutes later
I am on two blood pressure medicines for high blood pressure. I didn't take my blood pressure medicine yesterday or today since it was so low. I also have MS. And I run a daycare with five kids under the age of two. I also have mitral valve prolapse I had a TIA in 2004
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

I recommend going to the ER for a careful check up and some tests.

You should also perform a cardiac ultrasound to examine your cardiac function.

Low blood pressure could be related to a cardiac disorder or to MS (autonomic dysfunction).

A careful neurological examination is also needed in this clinical situation.

Meanwhile, I would not recommend taking your blood pressure medicines, until your blood pressure will be high again.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist