• question-icon

What causes left sided pain in the rib area after injury?

Posted on Thu, 29 Jun 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: i had a fall off of a horse and initially did not have any pain at all in my left side in my rib area...i landed on my back... now I am having a lot of pain in the rib area under my left breast and it is not getting better

By the way, this happened 4 days ago
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Add tylenol. If pain persists, get an x-ray and more potent pain drugs!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for this query.

This is probably caused by contusion of soft tissue in this area. It is unlikely to be a fractured rib or bone. However, you need more potent pain medications. I will suggest that you add tylenol to ibuprofen: 1000mg every 6-8hours. If this fails to control the pain, consider getting an x-ray for evaluation to rule out any minor bone injury. Also, your doctors should consider getting you on more potent pain drugs.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up on this if there are some unanswered questions to you. Above all, kindly keep me updated with the evolution of this pain.
Dr. Ivo Ditah