• question-icon

What causes itchy red bumps on the arms?

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have medium sized itchy bumps that appear under the skin occurring one at a time directly after the other. They appear only on my arms and it is not due to bug bites of any kind. There is no draining or squishy feel to them. They are mostly firm and warm. I have no known allergies. What could this possibly be?
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Either photodermatitis or eczematous rash, topical steroid & antihistaminic

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at HealthcareMagic
I have reviewed the attached photograph and it seems to be either photodermatitis or eczematous rash.
If I was your treating doctor I would recommend you to apply topical steroid like clobetasol propionate cream on the affected areas twice daily and take antihistaminic like tablet Cetrizine 10 mg once or twice daily depending on the intensity of itching for 2-3 weeks.
Steroidal preparations are prescription drugs and you need to see the doctor in person to get them.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 11 hours later
I do take Xanax daily, would this have a dramatic affect with UV rays causing the photodermatitis to manifest? I also live in Las Vegas nv but only for the last 5 months.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Xanax not related to photodermatitis

Detailed Answer:
Xanax is not related to photodermatitis.
Photodermatitis is associated with sun exposure and not with xanax.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 5 hours later
I have researched that anti anxiety medication helps bring on symptoms of photodermatitis when paired with sunlight. Is this untrue?
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Very rare occurrence

Detailed Answer:
It is a very rare phenomenon.
I haven't this kind of photodermatitis in my experience.
If you are still doubtful about xanax related to your photodermatitis then you can stop it.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist