What causes itchy ears and intermittent cough?

Dr. Vignan Rachabattuni

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have itchy ears, when I swollow my ears itch, glands feel slightly swollen, and intermittent cough NO fever or congestion in head. Is that allergies?
Answered by Dr. Vignan Rachabattuni 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
May be an ear or throat infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,

Thank you for writing to HCM. I have gone through your question and understand the concern that you have.

Based on the symptoms that you have, it seems that the itching in the ear is due to irritation of the nerves in the ear due to the infection.

In both a throat infection and an ear infection, the bacteria or the virus will cause pressure or pain which can feel like itching.

Also, the swelling that you have in the glands is because of the pathogens entering into the lymph nodes and that is why you have swollen glands.

The next step for you is to start taking antibiotics to help fight off the infection. You may also need ear drops to help treat this. Please see a doctor to get these medications prescribed.

I hope I have answered your query. Please post a follow up if you have more questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar