What causes itching sensation in the throat while on Gabapentin?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 26 Aug 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: Gabapentin 100 mg 1-3 capsules @ Bedtime was prescribed for my wife's Diabetic Nerve Pain in her feet last Thursday. It seems to have reduced the pain at the 1 capsule level, however, she is experiencing "an itching sensation" in her throat and the "impulse" to cough started yesterday. Is this a know side effect of the medication?
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Rare, but known.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

That side effect is not common for Gabapentin, it is not listed amongst common side effects and I must say I haven't encountered it in my patients in daily practice. However among the less common side effects there is a low chance of sore throat, rare at about only 1% of patients. So given the close relationship in time and the lack of other symptoms which could indicate some other cause such as a common upper respiratory infection, that manifestation could well be due to Gabapentin.

For that reason I would consider interrupting it. Even if your doctor doesn't agree with me there is no harm done, it is not a curative drug, it merely alleviates the diabetic neuropathy symptoms, so it can always be restarted. Another medication such as Pregabalin may be tried which is about equally effective.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 22 minutes later
I am appreciative of your response. We will DC until we hear from her Endocrinologist on Thursday.

(After sending this message I will close the discussion)
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thank you!

Detailed Answer:
Glad to have been of help. I hope things work out for the best.