What causes itching sensation and discomfort at vaginal opening?
I am 53 years old and post menopausal, I am not sexually active and have not been over a year. I am having itching and a feeling that something crawling at my vaginal opening and surrounding labia. I use unscented soap, mild detergent, cotton underwear (boring)! This is the second time this has happened in the past 8 months. The first time, I went to my PCP and she did some testing with no conclusive evidence of anything wrong. She confirmed that my skin is thinning. It finally cleared up on its own... Is this typical of post-menopause? Any advice, natural remedies or traditional medicines?
It is a symptoms of menopause.
Thanks for trusting hcm about your health care.
I have gone through your history and understand your concerns.
Your symptoms are most likely due to hormonal changes caused by menopause.
It could be due to infection if it is associated with vaginal discharge.
Otherwise you can use moisture on it or emolient cream to reduce itching, keep the area XXXXXXX and dry.
See your sugar levels.
Low carbohydrate and high protein diet.
Hope found useful, feel free to ask more information.
You can apply vaselline also.
Sorry for such a long delay in my response.
You can apply vaselline as a moisturiser .
You can take probiotics or add yogurt in your diet.
Because it is thinning of vaginal epithelium ,estrogen cream is also useful.
Hope found useful.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What is cause of swollen vaginal opening
- What causes vaginal bleeding and itching
- What can cause vaginal itching
- What is the cause and treatment for vaginal itching
- What causes vaginal burning sensation
- What causes itching pain and swelling at vaginal opening
- What could be the cause of vaginal itching
- What causes itching sensation in body
- What causes itching sensation on foreskin
- What stds cause vaginal itching