What causes itching in the groin?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 20 Jul 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have itching in the groin. Is ring guard sufficient or do i have to take anti fungal tablets also.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I suggest both Topical and Oral antifungal for 4-6 weeks

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I have taken note of your query and I understand that you have itching in groin.

Groin itching is commonly due to fungal infection/ tinea cruris.
Tinea cruris is specially common in summers and in humid weather conditions as there is lot of sweating from the groins.
Groin folds trap moisture and warmth & therefore provide an ideal environment for the fungus to grow.

I suggest that you first visit a dermatologist in yout vicinity for a confirmatory diagnosis.

In my patients I usually treat tinea cruris with both topical as well as Oral antifungal drugs e.g fluconazole tablet.
Cream needs to be applied twice daily whereas fluconazole tablet is usually once in a week dose

Duration of treatment with topical and oral antifungal, varies from 4-6 weeks.

One of the topical antifungals like clotrimazole 1% cream Or miconazole nitrate 2% cream can be used, twice daily for 4-6 weeks.
These active antifungal ingredients are available in various OTC creams as well as on prescription of a doctor.

The cream that you inquire for (i.e ring guard) contains miconazole nitrate 2% as an active antifungal ingredient. You may use it twice daily.
This is an OTC product and can be obtained without a doctors prescription whereas Oral fluconazole tablet is a prescription product and should only be used after a doctors prescribes.

Along with topical and oral antifungals, In may patients wth tinea cruris I usually also suggest an OTC oral antihistamine e.g cetrizine 10 mg once daily for symptomatic relief from itching.

Once fungal infection resolves i.e usually after 4-6 weeks I usually ask my patients to use an antifungal dusting powder e.g clotrimazole dusitng powder in groin folds to prevent a recurrence.

Antifungal dusting powder not only keeps groin folds dry but being antifungal in nature, also inhibits fungal growth.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj