What causes itching and flaky skin inside the ear?

Posted on Mon, 21 Apr 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: the inside of my ear is itchy and flaky. what can be the cause?
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Use antibiotic with sterois and antifungal cream Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. You seem to be having eczema of the external ear and most common cause is a hypersensitivity to the metal you are using as ear rings. Please remove these for few days and the things should improve. Please use a cream containing antibiotic with steroid and antifungal. If the problem does not subside, Please see a dermatologist or an ENT. Avoid scrapping the area and keep the area dry. Feel free to ask another query. Reagrds
Follow up: Dr. Prahlad Duggal 38 minutes later
The issue is inside the ear, not outside the ear. And, I have had these earrings in for several months now. Can I use the antibiotic/steroid cream in the ear? I'm assuming you're talking about something like bacitracin as an antibiotic ointment? Hydrocortisone as the steroid cream? I sent a reply/follow up questions about 3 hours ago and have not received a response. The replay stated: The issue is inside the ear, not outside the ear. And, I have had these earrings in for several months now. Can I use the antibiotic/steroid cream in the ear? I'm assuming you're talking about something like bacitracin as an antibiotic ointment? Hydrocortisone as the steroid cream? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 13 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes, cream can be used inside also. Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. The image you attached with the query is of external ear and it conveyed the sense that the problem is on the outside. You can use the antibiotic and steroid cream in the ear also but use minimal amount and avoid plugging your ear with cream. You can use antibiotic and steroid ear drops also which are more comfortable to use than cream. Please use two drops three times a day. In case the problem does resolve or reappears, see an ENT as cleaning of external auditory canal will be required. Feel free to ask another query. Regards
Dr. Prahlad Duggal

ENT Specialist