What causes irregular periods?

Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: I m not getting monthly perionds on time
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is normal to have it after delivery

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mrs XXXXXXX thanks for trusting health care magic.
It is common to have irregular periods or no periods at all after delivery of the baby.
It takes around 6-12 months to resume normal pattern of periods after delivery and more time in case of cesarean delivery.
In case you have not had a thyroid profile testing in pregnancy then get it done but in case it was done in pregnancy and was normal then nothing to worry.
In case you have other questions I will be happy to help.

Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 16 hours later
Hello DR

I had Thyroid test & it is Normal what should I do so that my monthly cycle is regular as when I get the cycle after a long time bleeding is to much.
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
oral pills

Detailed Answer:
Hi, as your baby is already ten months old you should start with low dose oral contraceptive pills.
They will give you following benefits-
- regularization of cycle
- lessen the flow in periods
- contraception.
But before buying them you should get yourself examined from a gynecologist and she might like to advise certain tests for the same.
Wish you all the best.