question-icon

What causes irregular menstruation in a teenager?

Posted on Fri, 27 May 2016
Question: Hi
My daughter who is 19 yrs old having irregular periods. For last 6 months ,her periods were regularised by XXXXXXX tablets after due consulting gynae doctor. Now last month , as per doctor advise ,I stopped XXXXXXX tablets. But still her periods r not reqular. pl advise
Answered by Dr. Zenab Tambawala (40 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
do not worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,
Welcome to HCM,

It looks like your daughter has polycystic ovarian syndrome.

Irregular periods are expected in PCOS and both metformin(glycophage) and XXXXXXX are the correct treatment for PCOS.

You could consider to put again on glycophage atleat 1000 mg perday for 3 months atleast and longer if shown to be helpful.

She can take tab. Duphaston for 5 days and then stop to get her periods if she is not having her periods monthly.

I would like to know her height and weight, as weight loss and exercise and healthy lifestyle changes go a long way in treating PCOS.

If she is comfortable with XXXXXXX she could also consider that, as these are safe and effective even if taken long term till she plans to conceive , at which time she should stop these and consider clomiphene.

Hope this helps.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Zenab Tambawala

OBGYN