What causes irregular menstruation in a 26 year old woman?
Please give your history in details
There can be various difficulties in monthly cycle. The irregularities may be in the regularity of the cycle, in the amount of bleeding, in the days you bleed, in the pain factor. If you would elaborate your menstrual irregularities more in details, I would definitely be guiding you to get relief from it.
In your history, please specify the following information:
1. What is your current age?
2. When did you start your menses in your life; i.e., when did you get your first menstrual cycle - at what age? This is called as menarche.
3. After menarche, what was the pattern of your menstrual cycle and for how long such pattern was there?
4. Your current menstrual history in the format of D/P f, r, p
where D = number of days you bleed, P = periodicity of the menstrual cycle, f= amount of flow, r = regularity and p = pain.
5. Are you married and/or sexually active? Can you correlate your current problem to this change in life.
6. Whether you have any other problem related to reproductory health or otherwise?
7. Are you taking any medications currently? Any history of previous medication?
Initially, please update me with this history after which I may ask some more relevant questions if needed.
I shall definitely try to help you out from this problem.
I am awaiting for your detailed history.
Dr. Nishikant Shrotri
Avoid any drastic attempts to loose fat
Bleeding for three days is quite acceptable. However you feel you bleed less. How much do you bleed - I mean can you specify how many pads you have to change on each day?
Did you have similar pattern of menstruation since your menarche of it has started recently? If so, since when? Can you correlate with your attempts of reducing the fat?
What is your BMI? Excessive fat or drastic attempts to loose the fat may cause menstrual irregularities. I would like to know more in details of the anti-obesity treatment you are undergoing. If you have recently started putting on excessive weigt, it could be due to Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.
Please be more explanatory than brief, XXXX. It will help me to analyze your problem and advise you appropriately.
Please give me all the information I have asked for. I am always available for you, XXXX.
DR. Nishikant Shrotri
Thanks for your humble reply,
Sir i want to mention 1 thing that when my periods get started that is at age of 15 it was all OK since from last 1 year i am facing the problem of less blood flow. i uauaslly use single pad each day.
I did not attempt any strick rule of reducing fat yes avoid fatty foods, doing aerobics is the thing which i persue most for the same.
I am putting weight continusly but not very drastic put on. it is like 1 kg per month.My current BMI is 29.
Get investigated for PCOS and Thyroid
You are avoiding fatty food and still are putting on weight. Your BMI is quite high. Your menstrual flow has reduced over last one year. You have to primarily get investigated for 1. Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, 2. Thyroid dysfunction.
Please get your ultrasonography of the pelvis and abdomen done. It will give any evidence of PCOS, if present. Also get blood examined for FSH, LH, Oestrogen, Progesterone and Prolactin.
Also get your blood examined for thyroid function : T3, T4, TSH. Your picture suggests the possibility of Hypothyroidism.
Please revert back with the reports and images of these investigations uploaded. Since there is no emergency in increasing your menstrual flow, we may differ the treatment till complete investigation reports are reviewed.
Meanwhile, please try to bring down your BMI under 24.9. High protein, low fat and low carbohydrate diet would help you keep your weight down. Monthly increase by 1 kg is definitely not acceptable. Eat in a bowl and not in a plate.
Dr. Nishikant Shrotri
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What is the treatment for irregular menstruation
- I am 53 year old but still has irregular menstruation
- Menorrhagia, irregular menstruation causes
- Irregular menstruation 18 years old
- Causes of irregular menstruation
- Irregular menstruation in 21 year old causes
- Postinor cause irregular menstruation
- Propranolol cause irregular menstruation
- Irregular menstruation at 40 yrs old
- What are the reasons for irregular menstruation