What causes increasing abdominal girth while on Percocet?
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care concerns
You are concerned about increasing abdominal girth. You have had ultrasounds of the abdomen which did not see any ascites and you have had your heart checked for heart failure and they all reported as normal. Then the cause is probably bloating and slow GI transit times due to the percocet. Any opiate reacts with the entire GI tract from esophagus to anus with slowing things down. You would call it gastroparesis but that entity is only for slow stomach emptying. With the percocet your entire colon and intestines and stomach are slow allowing for increased gas and distention. If you could wean yourself off the percocet your distention would resolve. It is not paralytic ileus because you would have intractable vomiting and sever GI cramping and pain.
I hope I answered your question. Please contact us again if you have any additional questions
Weaning from percocet
You can't just stop the percocet because you will go through some terrible withdrawals. Talk with your doctor about your concerns and get a plan in place to help you wean from the percocet.
And yes the percocet could definitely be causing your shortness of breath becuase of the CNS depression of your breathing centers.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Can percocet cause anemia
- Percocet cause penis discharge
- Twitching thumb caused by percocet
- What is the cause for weight gain when on percocet
- Percocet causes heart attacks
- Does percocet cause rapid heartbeat
- Does percocet cause nosebleeds
- Causes of increased abdominal girth
- What causes itchy welts while taking percocet for back injury
- Does percocet cause yeast infection