What causes increased levels of HCG?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Women's Health
Question: Hi I was reading over my lab results on my patient portal and it says that my hcg in my bloodwork says >6 and I know 5 is normal what does this mean
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be a physiological variation.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The increased levels of HCG can be due to a pregnancy or a recent abortion. This can be a physiological variation also. Just get the levels repeated after a week and see if there is any change. There is just a mild rise of HCG. Not worrisome right now.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 10 minutes later
could this possibly mean I may be pregnant or no
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Pregnancy is a possibility.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Yes. It can be due to an early conception.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 12 hours later
ok I looked at it wring. it's actually saying < negative 6
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Then there is nothing to worry.

Detailed Answer:
It is normal to have the levels less than 6.