• question-icon

What causes increased heart rate after altering the dosage of medication?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My doctor recently lowered my Amlodipine besylate to 5 mgs per day AND increased my Ramipril from 1.25 mg per day to 20 mg per day. After two days on new regimen, last nite I was kept awake from 11 pm till 2:30 am by the following: my heart kept beating really 'energetically' and (this was the scary part to me) my whole body began to really drop in temperature down to 95+/- and I could not get warm. about 2:30 (4 hrs after the 2nd 10 mg capsule of the Ramipril) the cold body started to warm up and could finally relax and go to sleep.
Should I be concerned?? or Should I call my doctor on Monday a.m. & see what she has to say?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Considerations

Detailed Answer:
hello and thank you for sending the question.

From what you have described it sounds like the symptoms you experienced may be related to your body adjusting to the new dosage of your medications. This can sometimes contribute to fluctuation in heart rate. The fluctuation in your body temperature is a bit more than usual but still potentially related.

at this point I do not think you're in any immediate danger. I would continue to monitor your symptoms for the time being. If you continue to develop palpitations dizziness shortness of breath or chest pain and I would recommend you report to your local emergency room for immediate evaluation.

it may simply take some time and quite often may require a week to 10 days for your body to fully adjust to the new medication regimen.

I would certainly contact your physician on Monday to check in and see if she has any additional recommendations.

thank you again for sending your question.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist