What Causes Hip Pain And Lower Back Pain?
Kindly advise me by telling the reason of my hip pain and how do I relive this pain.
Due to muscle strain
Thanks for posting your query.
Hip pain and lower back pain is quite COMMON among middle aged individuals. A muscle strain is one of the MOST common causes of acute to severe hip pain.
Some other underlying causes like Sciatica, Spondylitis, Lumbar herniated disc, Degenerative disc disease, Isthmic spondylolisthesis etc should be ruled out through clinical examination and radiological investigation (like X- ray, CT scan, Myelogram, MRI etc). Kindly, consult with Orthopedic surgeon regarding this for proper management of the case.
TREATMENT: Some general guidelines can help you to reduce pain. These are as follows:
1) Take adequate bed REST with maintaining posture. Individuals who do not regularly exercise to build strength and flexibility are more likely to experience recurrent or prolonged muscle pain.
2) Alternate Hot water bottle or Ice pack can help to relieve most types of hip pain by reducing inflammation.
3) Non-Steroid Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) are quite useful to reduce inflammation. You are already taking these. Adding a muscle relaxant will be helpful.
4) Exercise for Hip and Back Pain : It is a key element of almost any muscle pain treatment plan. You may contact with Physiotherapist regarding this.
It includes 3 components: aerobic conditioning, stretching, and strengthening. The exercises are done through a controlled, progressive program to build more strong and flexible spine and joints.
5) Epidural Steroid Injections - deliver steroids directly into the painful area to reduce inflammation. It often provides enough pain relief to allow patients to move, exercise and heal.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Thanks for the advices.
I would just like to get some clarification from what you advised.
You have advised Hot water bottle or Ice pack. Can I use hot water bag & ice pack? If yes, what should be the gap between these two? How many times do I need to do in a day and how many days should I do it?
Should I start the exercises while I am having pain or having the pain has gone temporarily and when it has been cured for 2-3 days.
One query about the Epidural Steroid Injections. Is the purpose of this to give a temporary relive from pain or also to remove the cause of the pain?
Thanks for writing again.
You can use hot water bag and ice pack alternately with a gap of 15 minutes between the two. This is to be done thrice a day. You can continue with it till the pain persists.
You can start with the exercises once the acute pain subsides. The steroid injections will give temporary relief only. The pain will recur once the effect of injection is over.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Thanks for the elaborate advices.
One more query. You have advised to use hot water bag and ice pack alternately with a gap of 15 minutes between the two. This is to be done thrice a day. You can continue with it till the pain persists.
Please advise – For how many hours on each of the 3 days, shall I do the alternate application of hot water bag & ice pack.
As I am now on an official tour to Kuwait till the coming Saturday, I will revert with the improvement by next week-end (31.05.14).
15 minutes is usually sufficient.
The time of hot and cold fomentation varies with the severity of pain. You can do that usually for 15 minutes each but if the pain is severe then it can be done for upto 30 minutes.
Do keep me posted regarding the progress.