What causes heavy vaginal bleeding after taking Plan-B?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 14 Mar 2017 in Women's Health
Question: Had surgical abortion two weeks ago today. Last weekend I messed around with a friend & although we didn't have intercourse I got nervous & took plan b Monday night. Wednesday night I started bleeding heavily with cramping & have continued to have bright red bleeding since. Should I be worried? Did I seriously mess up my body? Help.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Due to plan B.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.

The bleeding that started after taking Plan B was a withdrawal bleeding which is a common side effect of plan B. In case the bleeding continues for more than 7 days then you can consult a gynecologist for hormonal tablets to stop the bleeding. Your next periods may also be delayed due to the pill.

Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Okay - so the bright red color of the blood should not be a concern? Thank you for your answer.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Withdrawal bleeding is always bright red in color. No need to worry.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy