What causes heated sensation in the buttocks?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Fri, 31 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: For about 2 months I've had a "heated" sensation in my buttocks when I sleep on my back. It almost feels like I'm sitting on a heating pad. I feel of the buttocks on the outside but there isn't any hotness there, it is just a sensation inside. It isn't there when I get up from bed or at any other time, just when I sleep. There isn't any pain connected with it or does it bother me at any other time.....just when I sleep at nites.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
For how long has this been going on?

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks so much for this query.

I have reviewed your information fully and this is suggestive of peripheral neuropathy. This happens when the nerve endings tend to get easily excited sending exaggerated and misleading signals to the brain. It often comes with age and could be provoked or exacerbated by diabetes or hypertension. While we have medications to address this, I often reserve them for persons with symptoms they can't control. This is because this isn't something that has just a one time shot but needs long term control as eradication is impossible.

IN all, peripheral neuropathy. Not uncommon given your age and history of hypertension. However, no recommended treatment unless all other non drug measures such as adopting alternate positions fail.

I hope this sheds more lights. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if there are further unresolved issues with this.

Kind regards!