What causes heart palpitations, lightheadedness, fainting and rapid heart rate?

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am 35 years old male with no heart disease in my family. I occasional get heart palpitations. This morning i got heart palpitations that felt like it was 4 in a row that made me feel light headed and almost faint. They stopped within 30 seconds but i am concerned. I wear a fitbit an it recorded my heart rate in the range of 90-105 bpm during that time frame. What could this be? As a backnote, i had an EKG about three months ago and a chest xray that both came back normal.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I carefully passed through your question and would explain that your symptoms could be related to extrasystolic arrhythmia as well as a paroxysmal supraventricular arrhythmia (paroxysmal atrial fibrillation or SVT).

Coming to this point I would recommend an ambulatory 24-48 hours ECG monitoring (Holter) and some other tests:

- cardiac ultrasound to examine your cardiac function and structure
- pulmonary function tests for possible pulmonary dysfunction
- complete blood count for anemia
- thyroid hormone levels for possible thyroid dysfunction
- blood electrolytes for possible electrolyte imbalance
- liver and renal function tests

All the above could help to clarify the exact reason of your palpitations and underlying responsible causes.

You should discuss with your doctor on the above issues.

Hope to have been helpful!

Feel free to ask any other questions whenever you need!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri

Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 22 minutes later
Are either of these life threatening? Also, you sure its not ventricular tachyardia?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Opinion as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,

Considering your previously normal health condition and especially cardiac status (confirmed by the previous resting ECG, physical exam and chest X ray study) those supposedly arrhythmic palpitation don't seem to be a serious or life-threatening.

Facing the absence of any known cardiomyopathy, most probably if arrhythmia is present, it is likely to be supreventricular.

Nevertheless, though much less likely, also a short nonsustained ventricular arrhythmia may be possible.

That's why I recommended you the above mentioned tests.

Please, let me know the results of further tests you will decide with your attending physician.

I remain at your disposal for any further uncertainties.

Dr. Iliri

Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 25 minutes later
One last question, can PVCs or supraventricular cause near fainting and 4 heart palps in a row? Just curious
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, this is possible.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

Yes, it is possible for PVCs or supraventricular arrhythmia to cause near fainting and 4 heart palpitations in a row.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Greetings!

Dr. Iliri

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist