• question-icon

What causes heart palpitations after taking Losartan Potassium?

Posted on Fri, 30 Jun 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: i started thursday afternoon at about 3 pm on losartan potassium 25 mg. Took i tablet only. During the night at about 2am i woke up and felt like i was going to drown. A big wave searched to me head which i definitely could not stop. I also had a organism which lasted very long and it was very painful . When i finally came to my senses my heart was banging AS OF JUMPING OUT OF MY BODY. THIS banging lasted half an hour and then i fell asleep and felt fine the next morning. I am not looking forward to a similar ecperience after another pil.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I would explain that the episode with drowning after taking losartan potassium could be related to low blood pressure, caused by this drug.

For this reason, I would recommend you to closely monitor your blood pressure. If it is too low, I would not recommend taking losartan.

Regarding the episode with palpitations, it could be caused by cardiac arrhythmia. It is quite normal to have an increased heart rate during emotional or physical stress. Sexual activity can also lead to a similar clinical scenario.

But a cardiac arrhythmia can not be excluded either. If the problem repeats, I would recommend consulting with your attending physician for a careful physical activity and some tests to investigate for possible causes of arrhythmia:

- a cardiac ultrasound and a resting ECG
- an ambulatory 24-48 hours ECG to monitor your heart rhythm trends for a prolonged time
- complete blood count for anemia
- thyroid hormone levels for thyroid dysfunction
- blood electrolytes for possible imbalance.

Hope to have been helpful!

Wishing good health,

Dr. Iliri

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist