What causes headache with tingling and numbness in hand and feet?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Headache and Migraines
Question: After a long time in my life i had a headache 2 weeks back. Thought it was because of lack of sleep. A week later i developed headache again. I also started having tingilng and numbness in hand and feet . I have a history of B12 deficency for 8 years. immediately scheduled an appointment with Dx. She did a physical test and said no tumor or no stroke. She ordered blood work (ESR, B12, Thyorid) Also scheduled for MRI. At that time i met the dx my headache was not that bad. But constant mild pressure was there. After the visit next few days it got worse. One day during the office work it got really bad, burning sensation in my head. througout the day. Since then i have been consistently having this burning sensation in the back of my head precisely. Sometimes head goes cold sometime head goes hot. I do wake up with mild head discomfort. Throughout the day i have this pressure in vaying degrees in the occipital region . Pins and needles feeling is always there around head. But pressure is just at back of my head. Sometimes tingling, sometimes pressure, sometimes burning sensation.. sometimes mild ache.. something is there always. at the back of my head. One more symptom appeared today. When i closed my car backdoor nerve connected to middle finger experienced severe pain. I think it is ulnar, c7. I am worried about getting diagnosed for tumor. Another thing.. Pain medication i tried twice .. didn't seem to help. Advil was slightly better than tylenol. Still didn't help that much
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
migraine& nutritional neuropathy

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking
Your history is classic for migraine headaches and lack of sleep had a significant role in it.stop worrying about something you don't have. Nutritional neuropathy of yours of vitamin b 12 is causing associated symptoms and they need to be rectified on their own and might have likely played a role in the headaches too.
Let's discuss the migraine management and I hope you know already about the management of b 12 deficiency so I would not focus on that.

Migraines are the common cause of recurrent headaches and family history of this issue makes it more likely.
I want you to know that Migraine treatment involves acute (abortive) and preventive (prophylactic) therapy. Patients with frequent attacks usually require both. Measures directed toward reducing migraine triggers are also generally advisable.

Acute treatment aims to reverse, or at least stop, the progression of a headache that has started. Preventive treatment, which is given even in the absence of a headache, aims to reduce the frequency and severity of the migraine attack, make acute attacks more responsive to abortive therapy, and perhaps also improve the patient's quality of life. An overview of migraine treatment is shown in the image below.

Migraineurs should be screened for cardiovascular risk factors, which, if present, should be aggressively treated. Migraineurs with aura should also be counseled on the increased risk of stroke with smoking and oral contraceptive use.

avoid factors that precipitate a migraine attack (eg, lack of sleep, fatigue, stress, certain foods, use of vasodilators).use a daily diary to document the headaches. This is an effective and inexpensive tool to follow the course of the disease.discontinue any medications that exacerbate your headaches. If an oral contraceptive is suspected to be a trigger, you may modify, change, or discontinue its use for a trial period. Similarly, if hormone replacement therapy is a suspected trigger, should reduce dosages, if possible. If headaches persist, consider discontinuing hormone therapy.
Biofeedback, cognitive-behavioral therapy, and relaxation therapy, occipital nerve stimulators,FDA recent approved Cerena Transcranial Magnetic Stimulator (Cerena TMS), are some non pharmacological approaches which help the migraines.
Use some preventive agents (eg, frovatriptan) perimenstrually as most of the migraines in women are associated with menstrual cycles.
SOme CAM (complementary and alternative medicine) techniques have been proved effective too.Biofeedback and behavioral therapy, herb butterbur (Petasites hybridus),riboflavin (vitamin B2), magnesium, and feverfew,coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10),Melatonin,Body work - Eg, chiropractic, massage, and craniosacral therapy,Nutritional/herbal supplements - Eg, vitamins and herbs,Acupressure and acupuncture, yoga etc are some of the level 1 recommendations by XXXXXXX college of neurology for these migrainous headaches.
Some dietary triggers which trigger migraine need to be avoided.Common dietary triggers include the following:

Alcohol - Particularly wine and beer
Caffeine overuse or caffeine withdrawal
Chocolate
Aspartame - eg, NutraSweet and Equal
Monosodium glutamate (MSG) - May be found in Asian food, canned soup, frozen or processed foods, and the seasoning product Accent
Fruits - Citrus fruits, bananas, avocados, and dried fruit
Nuts - Peanuts, soy nuts, and soy sauce
Tyramine, a biogenic amine that accumulates in food as it ages, may provoke migraine. Sources include the following:

Dairy - Aged cheese
Meat - Bacon, sausage, luncheon meat, deli meat, pepperoni, and smoked or cured meat
Pickled foods
Heavily yeasted breads - Eg, sourdough
Vinegars - Especially wine vinegar
Some types of beans

exercise for migraine prevention (40 minutes 3 times weekly for 3 months) has been proved effective.,Tonabersat,Transient receptor potential vanilloid type 1 antagonists,Prostaglandin E receptor 4 receptor antagonists,Serotonin 5HT1(F) receptor agonists and Nitric oxide synthase inhibitors are some of the novel managements for the migraines these days.
I hope you see the depth of it. Discuss all the possible options with your doctor and let them select what is best for you. COnsult your neurologist and hope for the best.

Nut shell all your symptoms are classic for migrainous headaches and need management .Rest are associated symptoms and they are from same old b 12 deficiency.
I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and don't forget to close the discussion please.
May the odds be ever in your favour.
Regards XXXXXXX

Follow up: Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 48 minutes later
One more thing . My headache is worse while lying down. Also i do wake up with head pressure. Is it a condition specific only to tumor.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No its not

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking
No it is not .Tumor is overrated these days.infact simple Sinusitis can cause such symptoms. Migraines ear aches nasal blockage or sinus congestion are some of the innocuous causes.
Nut shell no worries.its not easy to get a rumor of of a tumor not to speak of getting it . body proceeding system makes sure no such thing happens.
Take care and stop overwhelming your self.
Regards XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 31 hours later
Thanks a lot for your detailed answer. My blood work was normal. MRI did not show any mass build up or tumor. Just migraine related white spot. Some nerve symptom my PCP told nothing to worry about. Will check with Neurologist :)
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
:)

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome dear
All the workup is good news and do checkup with neurologist.
Don't forget to close the discussion please.
Regards XXXXXXX